Happy Ascension Day! Has anyone greeted you in this way? Most likely not. Most people don’t even know there is such a thing, much less celebrate it. The ascension of Jesus is one of the most important doctrines of the Christian faith and yet many do not know about it or understand its true implications.
The Ascension of Jesus
- The ascension of Jesus was a different and unique event! (Acts 1:1-3)
- The ascension of Jesus resulted in great joy for the early disciples! (Luke 24:50-53)
- Great joy was the last thing you would expect from them. (John 16:4-6)
- It’s only reasonable to have joy after the resurrection. (John 20:19-20)
- But how can they rejoice when Jesus is no longer with them? (John 16:19-20a; Acts 1:9-11a)
- So why were the disciples rejoicing when Jesus left them? [They finally understood what the word “ASCEND” really means. (Psalm 47:5-6; Isaiah 14:13) To ASCEND in the Bible is to be enthroned and recognized as RULER and KING!]
- Jesus’ ASCENSION means He is now the RULER and KING over all CREATION! (John 6:62; 17:4-5; 20:17; Acts 2:33-35; Eph 4:7-10)
- What is the implication of this? (Eph 1:3; 1:18-23; 2:6-7; 2:14-18; 3:14-21) Jesus’ ASCENSION is also our ELEVATION as God’s NEW CREATION. (Eph 4:1)
- Jesus’ ASCENSION means He is now the RULER and KING over all CREATION!
- Therefore, Jesus’ ASCENSION is also our ELEVATION as God’s NEW CREATION!
- Let us live in light of who Jesus is NOW and who we are in Him NOW!
- Why is it that not so many people are aware of the ascension of Jesus and its implications?
- What have you realized about the meaning and implication of the ascension of Jesus to your own life?
- How would you live differently in light of that realization?