What are the Ten Commandments? Really? Are they still relevant today? Should we even bother to know them? We are no longer under the “law” but under “grace.” Should we just disregard these commandments completely because we are now living by faith in Jesus Christ? What we will discover, if we will study it with an open mind, is that the Ten Commandments are actually choices that can lead to God’s kind of good life through faith in Jesus Christ.
- They are a REVELATION of who God is (Deut 5:1-5). – Often we think of the Ten Commandments as mere rules. That’s why a lot of people don’t like them. But if we pay attention to what the Bible says about them, we realize that the Ten Commandments are actually a revelation of who God is. He wants people, the Israelites, to know Him personally and to reflect His glory among the pagans who were living in the land. The same is true today. God wants us to reflect His glory by living differently compared to those who do not know the Lord.
They are a REMINDER of who we are (Deut 5:22-27). – The Israelites, upon hearing the Ten Commandments, realized that they were sinners, incapable of meeting the righteous demands of God. They saw the truth about themselves. They were afraid because of God’s revelation, as He spoke to them from the mountain in all His power and holiness. In the same way, we realize who we are as we reflect on the Ten Commandments. We realize that we are sinners in need of a Savior. So, the Ten Commandments actually lead us to Jesus, who alone can justify us before a holy and righteous God.
They are a ROAD MAP to living well on earth (Deut 5:28-33). – The Ten Commandments are not about going to heaven. It’s about living well on earth. They enable us to make choices that are good for us and others around us. Although it’s only by grace through faith in Jesus that we can fulfill these commandments, it’s important to remember that they are meant to help us in our daily lives here on earth. The Lord wants to bless us and His commandments are meant to guide us toward a life of blessing.
God’s way leads to God’s kind of good life.
We must not think that the Ten Commandments are irrelevant today.
- Read the Ten Commandments and meditate on them and follow them by faith from your heart.
- What have you realized about the Ten Commandments today?
- Why is it important to clarify the truth about the Ten Commandments?
- How would you apply what you have learned today?