Jesus, The One Who Remains
There has been a lot of talk about what has happened at the University of Asbury. It is now called the Asbury Revival. According to reports, both official as well as personal anecdotes, Jesus is manifesting His presence there and it has been amazing so far. Thank God for revivals like this! We should pray for spiritual revival everywhere. But, if we are not careful, we might think that the presence of the Lord can only come through extraordinary events like this. Thus, we would be looking for such experiences and miss the actual presence of the Lord in our daily ordinary lives. Jesus promised His presence, not just in extraordinary events like revivals but also in ordinary days of obedience and faithfulness. Jesus is the One who remains present with us regardless of the outward manifestations. How?
- He remains present with us when we come together. (Acts 2:42-47) – Some people neglect the habit of meeting together with other Christians because they think it’s boring. But the Lord Jesus is present with us when we come together. That should make all of us excited to be together in His presence.
- He remains present with us when we obey His will. (John 14:15-21) – Our daily faithful obedience to the Lord Jesus is the key to experiencing His presence in our lives. When we allow Him to have his say in every area of our lives, in love He reveals more of Himself to us. Thus, our intimacy with Him grows and deepens.
- He remains present with us when we deal with sin. (Matthew 18:15-20) – We all stumble in many ways. The temptation to sin is ever-present in our lives. But if and when we choose to help each other overcome sin, to live in victory, the presence of the Lord Jesus will always be with us.
- He remains present with us when we reach out to others. (Matthew 28:16-20) – Whenever we are doing the work of the Lord in saving people, teaching them to obey everything the Lord commanded us, and guiding them toward spiritual maturity, the Lord will always be present with us to empower us and help us succeed.
- Central Idea: “Jesus is the One who remains present with us always.”
- Let’s not just expect the presence of the Lord during extraordinary events. Let’s also expect Him during ordinary day-to-day events.
- Let’s do everything by faith in His presence regardless of the event or day, whether it’s special or ordinary.
- When was the last time you experienced the presence of the Lord?
- What have you learned today about the presence of the Lord that is new or fresh to you?
- How would you apply what you have learned to your day-to-day life as a follower of Christ?