Focusing when reading or meditating on God’s word is essential. The Bible has the power to transform our lives and shape our characters. However, this transformative process requires intentional reflection and application of its teachings. Focusing allows us to internalize, contemplate, and align our lives with the principles found in Scripture. The goal is not just reading the word of God but listening to God. How then do we read the word of God in order to hear the Lord?
1. Read the word of God *relationally*. (Revelation 3:20; Matthew 11:28-30) – Approach the word of God with a deep sense of connection, recognizing the importance of our personal relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ.
2. Read the word of God *attentively*. (James 1:22-25) – Dedicate our focus and concentration to attentively reading the word of God, actively seeking to understand its teachings and messages.
3. Read the word of God *intelligently*. (2 Timothy 2:15; Acts 17:10-11) – Engage with the scriptures intelligently by studying its teachings, discerning its deeper meanings, and understanding its context.
4. Read the word of God *contemplatively*. (Hebrews 4:12; Colossians 3:16) – Read the word of God contemplatively, allowing its truths to resonate within our hearts and guide us in our spiritual journey with God.
1. Central Idea: “Hearing God’s *voice* above the *noise* must be your intentional *choice*.”
2. Don’t allow your mind and heart to be distracted. Focus on the word of God.
3. Today, please attend the Lectio Divina seminar. Then, share with your friends or small group what you have learned.
1. How does reading the word of God relationally enhance our understanding and connection with God? What are some practical ways to cultivate a deep sense of connection while reading the Bible?
2. In what ways can we actively seek to attentively read the word of God? How can we overcome distractions and maintain focus during our personal study of Scripture?
3. Why is it important to engage with the scriptures intelligently and understand their context? How can studying the teachings of the Bible help us discern deeper meanings and apply them in our daily lives?