- Today people have easy access to so much information. This is both a blessing as well as a problem.
- The faith of many today is weak because of falsehood. We can only strengthen our faith by being grounded in the truth. The primary source of truth is the word of God, the Bible.
- How can we strengthen our faith through the Bible? There are “Three Crucial Benefits of the Bible” according to 2 Timothy 3:1-5,10-17
Three Crucial Benefits of the Bible
1. It provides *authenticity* to our faith.
14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it…
10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them.
1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
It’s easy to profess faith and yet we do not experience the transformative power of God. That can only happen through the word of God. Without God’s word influencing us, our faith will only be superficial and external. But when God’s word truly dwells in our hearts, our lives can be transformed.
2. It provides *objectivity* to our faith.
15 …and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness…
The faith of many today is highly subjective, based only on human opinion or feelings. The result, of course, is a weak faith or no faith at all. Instead of being strong in the Lord, we are overcome by the world.
3. It provides *practicality* to our faith.
17 …so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Only the word of God can equip us for works of ministry. Without God’s word guiding us, our efforts will only be limited to what we can do by our own strength. Only God’s word can enable us to minister according to the power of God working in and through us.
Turning Point: “The Bible is the *firm anchor* of our faith.”
GROUP DISCUSSION (30 minutes)
- Why do people struggle in giving importance to the Bible?
- How can you overcome these struggles?
- How can you start giving importance to the Bible?
PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER
Please take the time to pray for one another. This is important. Thanks!
If you want to really grow in your faith, take some time to personally reflect on what you have learned today. Click this link to submit your personal reflection. We can also send you a copy of this if you wish. Just let us know your email. Thanks!