- We have learned that we need the right kind of faith to become resilient during these difficult times.
- But today we will learn that even the right kind of faith, without faithfulness, will still be useless.
- “Only faith, together with faithfulness, can develop resilience.”
- But how do we develop faithfulness?
- According to 2 Peter 1:3-7, there are three elements of faithfulness that we need practice.
- We need to trust the POWER of God.
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
- We need to know the PROMISES of God.
4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
It’s not enough that we trust in God’s power. It is also necessary that we know God’s promises. In other words, we need to know God’s word, so that by His grace we can put our faith in what He says. His revelation is our guide toward godliness. We cannot become what God wants us to be if we are simply relying on our feelings or experiences alone. We need God’s truth to enlighten us regarding God’s will.
Are you struggling to obey God? Maybe it is because you do not know God’s word. You are simply basing your efforts on your own understanding. That would always lead to failure. Know God’s word and obey it.
- We need to cooperate with the PROCESS of God.
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
Even though we trust in God’s power, and we know God’s promises, unless we actually cooperate in God’s process of transformation, we cannot see faithfulness happen. God wants to work in us, but we must also be willing to cooperate. Faith is not against effort. We need to make every effort to rearrange our lives so that we can grow by His grace. There are virtues that must be added to our faith. We are not simply to believe. We must cooperate with God until we become persons of love.
Are you frustrated with yourself? Maybe it is because you are leaving everything to God. God cannot transform you apart from your willing cooperation (i.e. your obedience). Start cooperating with God by faith today.
Turning Point: “Only faith, together with faithfulness, can develop resilience.”
GROUP DISCUSSION (30 minutes)
- What have you learned about faithfulness today?
- How is that significant or helpful to you right now?
- What would you do differently to apply what you have learned today?