The fear of the future can be a significant barrier to living a purposeful life that God intended us to have. It is natural to feel anxious about the unknown, but when this fear becomes overwhelming, it can prevent us from taking action and pursuing God’s mission. This fear can manifest in various ways, such as procrastination, indecisiveness, or avoidance. But we shouldn’t be paralyzed by fear and Jesus taught us why. We will look at the teaching of Jesus and understand the three reasons why we shouldn’t be afraid to obey God and fulfill His mission for us.
Three Reasons Why We Shouldn’t Be Afraid
1. Our lives are *valuable* to God (Matthew 6:25-27) – Jesus teaches us that our lives are important in the eyes of God and that He cares for us. As believers, we should obey God’s will despite our fears because we know that our Heavenly Father is with us and that He will provide us with whatever we need to live a purposeful life. If we wait for our fears to disappear before we obey God, we can never move forward. But if we trust in Him and have faith that He will never forsake us, we can rise above our fears and pursue God’s mission for us.
2. Our *significance* comes from God (Matthew 6:28-30) – Jesus teaches us that just as God has created the flowers of the field in a beautiful manner, He has also created us fearfully and wonderfully. God has promised to provide for our clothing, but we need to realize that our significance comes from Him, more than our external appearance or clothing. If we’re afraid of what others will say as we obey God, we should rise above it. If we’re afraid because we think we are unqualified, we should rise above it. Let’s believe in what God is telling us about our significance and move forward.
3. Our needs are *known* by God (Matthew 6:31-33) – Jesus teaches us not to worry about our needs because our Heavenly Father already knows them. Instead, Jesus instructs us to seek and run after God’s will for our lives. And when we do this, whatever we need will be provided to us as well. We should rise above our fears and obey God’s will because it’s in our obedience that we’ll receive God’s blessing for us. “The blessing is in the calling!”
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” – Matthew 6:34
Central Idea: “Rising above our fears *enables* us to do God’s will.”
Fear can be a powerful barrier that hinders us from fulfilling God’s mission for us. It is when we rise above our fears and put our full trust in God that we can truly pursue a purposeful life. We can move forward with confidence, knowing that God is with us every step of the way. So let us rise above our fears and move towards a life of purpose.
This week, approach God and identify the fears that prevent you from fulfilling His will for you. Then, surrender them to God and ask Him for an opportunity for you to rise above your fears and obey His mission.
1. What fears hinder you from fulfilling the mission God has for your life?
2. Jesus gave us 3 reasons why we shouldn’t be afraid. What helped you the most and why?
3. What truth or promise from God can you hold on to in order for you to rise above your fears and live a purposeful life?
4. “Rising above our fears enables us to do God’s will.” How can you apply this truth practically in your life?